The blood orange tree provides delicious, sweet oranges with a deep red hue to the flesh. This popular citrus fruit also offers pleasant overtones of fresh berries. Blood oranges great for sauces and sorbets.
Want to grow your own blood oranges? We offer high quality, fast-growing blood orange trees here at US Citrus. Learn more about the blood orange tree and fruit below.
Blood Orange Fruit
Features of the Moro blood orange:
- Named for its distinctively colored flesh, the blood orange’s red color is due to the presence of anthocyanins, the same antioxidant compounds found in purple grapes.
- Moro is the most popular variety of blood orange.
- Medium size fruit, with internal color from light orange-red to dark purple
- Rich flavor, with a hint of berries.
- Easy to pool and usually seedless.
- The fruit requires cool night temperatures to develop. The fruit’s flesh may not darken as consistently in humid areas.
- The fruit matures typically in December to February.
- The oranges contain a low number of seeds while providing a juicy flesh and pleasant flavor.
Blood Orange Tree
Features of the Moro blood orange tree:
- The blood orange tree is very easy to grow either indoors or outdoors.
- cold hardy tree.
- It is a vigorous growing, medium size tree, with a tendency to alternate-bearing years (heavy, then light).
- The blood orange requires both warm days for sugars to form and cool nights for the color to develop.
Grow Your Own Blood Oranges
- The blood orange tree you will receive is micro-budded, non-GMO, and about 12 inches tall.
- It will ship in a plastic tube and will need to be transplanted as soon as possible into a 15-gallon pot.
- With proper care, the tree will start bearing fruit in its second year.
- You will receive detailed video instructions on how to transplant and care for your citrus tree.
Looking for more orange trees and orange varieties? Check out our line of all-natural, fast-growing orange trees available in our citrus tree shop.