The Rio Red grapefruit is the official state fruit of Texas. Introduced to the general public in 1984, the Rio Red grapefruit hails from the breeding program of the citrus legend Dr. R.A. Hensz from the Texas A&M Citrus Center. At the time, the grapefruit was discovered growing on the branch of a Ruby Red budwood. One of the most aromatic smells you will experience will be the incredible scents of your Rio Red's flower buds! If you haven’t tried a Rio Red yet, they might just be the best grapefruits you will ever eat!
Want to grow your own Rio Red grapefruits? We offer high quality, fast-growing Rio Red grapefruit trees here at US Citrus. Learn more about the Rio Red grapefruit and tree below.
Rio Red Grapefruit
Features of the Rio Red grapefruit:
- Rio Red grapefruits are some of the tastiest and juiciest grapefruits in the world.
- Large fruit with yellow rind with a red blush.
- The classic Rio Red grapefruit variety is widely known for its delicious pink-red fleshed fruit.
- Juicy with fine sweet and tart flavor, fairly easy to peel.
- Fruit holds very well on the tree.
Rio Red Grapefruit Tree
Features of the Rio Red grapefruit tree:
- The grapefruits from the Rio Red grapefruit tree ripen between November to May.
- The tree will start bearing sweet, tasty red-fleshed grapefruit in its second year.
- Grapefruit has the highest heat requirement of any citrus.
- Vigorous growing, large tree, with a spreading canopy, large dark green leaves.
Grow Your Own Rio Red Grapefruits
- The Rio Red grapefruit tree you will receive is micro-budded, non-GMO, and about 12 inches tall.
- It will ship in a plastic tube and will need to be transplanted as soon as possible into a 15-gallon pot.
- With proper care, the tree will start bearing fruit in its second year.
- You will receive detailed video instructions on how to transplant and care for your citrus tree.
Looking for more citrus trees and varieties? Check out our line of all-natural, fast-growing citrus trees available in our citrus shop.