The exotic citrus fruit known as the Kaffir lime produces an incredible amount of oily juice that is wonderfully fragrant, and the leaves are highly prized in Thai and Indonesian cuisine as a garnish.
The Kaffir lime, scientifically known as Citrus hystrix, is a highly sought after citrus fruit native to Southeast Asia. The Kaffir lime tree is used for its aromatic leaves, while the fruit is often used for culinary garnish, such as in Southeast Asian cooking. The lime is also used for medicinal purposes.
Want to grow your own Kaffir limes? We offer the highest quality Kaffir lime trees around! Learn more about the Kaffir lime tree and fruit below.
Kaffir Lime Fruit
Features of the Kaffir lime:
- Additionally, the peel or rind can be used to make Thai curry paste and aromatherapy.
- In many cultures, this small and bumpy citrus fruit has both culinary (garnish) uses and medicinal property uses.
- Also, oils of the rind have uses ranging from sour dish flavoring to an insect repellant.
- The pulp of Kaffir limes is yellowish green, very sour and slightly bitter, and very fragrant.
- The fruit is not edible, and it is incredibly oily and has a fragrant aroma.
- The lime tree reaches full maturity in late winter to early spring, with the rind turning yellow.
Kaffir Lime Tree
Features of the Kaffir lime tree:
- The lime is more commonly known and used for its leaves consisting of a large petiole and a same sized leaf blade.
- The Kaffir lime tree is grown and harvested primarily for its dark green lime leaves to create spices or oils.
- Dried Kaffir Lime leaves are sold online for nearly $30 an ounce!
- Other uses include blending into massage oils, natural shampoos, and various herbal products.
- The tree is less cold hardy than Persian Lime.
- The tree exhibits good growth with full sun.
- The Kaffir Lime tree produces some of the most exotic limes in the world with all of its unique uses!
Grow Your Own Kaffir Limes
- The Kaffir lime tree you will receive is micro-budded, non-GMO, and about 12 inches tall.
- It will ship in a plastic tube and will need to be transplanted as soon as possible into a 15-gallon pot.
- With proper care, it will start bearing fruit in its second year.
- You will receive detailed video instructions on how to transplant and care for your tree.
Get free shipping on your next batch of Kaffir lime trees for sale here at US Citrus while supplies last!
Looking for more lime trees and lime varieties? Check out our line of all-natural, fast-growing lime trees available in our citrus tree shop.